FiveThirtyEight is searching for an intern to affix our audio group throughout the summer season of 2021. We’re searching for a present scholar or current graduate who has ideas about the right way to use audio to inform memorable political tales and provide significant political evaluation.
The intern’s fundamental position will probably be to work collaboratively to assist craft segments for our politics podcast, which airs twice every week. That features brainstorming potential subjects, researching visitors and getting ready interview questions. It could additionally embody documentary or unique reporting work for standalone episodes, which would come with archival analysis, slicing tape and scripting.
Journalism expertise (whether or not from a journalism class, college paper, job, or internship) is a should, as is a few expertise reporting on politics. However “politics” doesn’t simply imply electoral politics. It might imply you may have expertise reporting on coverage points, social actions, how polarization impacts your neighborhood, or one thing else. Interpret it broadly, as a result of we are going to too!
Some expertise working within the audio enhancing software program of your selection is required. The intern ought to know the right way to pay attention for good quotes in an interview, and edit the interview accordingly. There will probably be alternatives to learn to be a greater interviewer, a extra disciplined researcher and a sharper author on the job.
An curiosity in FiveThirtyEight’s empirical method to journalism can be required.
The intern will probably be embedded with a small audio group and report back to our politics podcast producer. That mentioned, FiveThirtyEight is a small newsroom, and the intern will work intently with politics reporters.
Candidates ought to have the ability to decide to a full-time schedule from Could or June via August. They should be a present scholar or have graduated up to now 18 months. It is a distant place.
And for those who don’t examine each field, that’s OK! Please don’t speak your self out of making use of. However please do apply by March 22. Apply with a canopy letter, resume and three clips at the Disney jobs portal. The clips needn’t all be audio tales. We’re most keen on seeing your capability to inform compelling tales, whatever the medium.
- Brainstorm section concepts for our politics podcast.
- Assist prep segments that we’re doing, together with analysis, query docs and extra.
- Lower tape of interviews as wanted.
- Collaborate with groups throughout the newsroom.
- get a podcast out the door two instances every week, each week.
- create prep packs for a bunch to allow them to interview properly.
- be a greater interviewer your self.
- analysis political points in a nonpartisan means.
- Journalism expertise, whether or not from a category, working at a scholar publication, or via a job or internship.
- Some expertise reporting on politics.
- Expertise working in an audio enhancing program.
- Podcasting expertise.
- Documentary expertise.